Homemade Greasy Chinese!!

Tofu w. Carrots in a Maple-Hoisin Sauce over Jasmine Rice and Spring Rolls

I love greasy Chinese food. I was just complaining to Peter last night that we don’t have a good local take out place near by. All the good places are a driving distance away and by the time you get it back to your home its just not as good. So when the mood strikes I just have to make my own, which is just fine with me.

This is a work in progress. I’ve been having trouble breading things for awhile now. I use to be a great breader. Now not so much and I’m not sure why. I’d like to blame in on Reno since all my brain power goes to her during the day that when nighttime comes I’m not as smart and I miss a step. Could be?

Anyway for this I pressed some extra firm tofu and “tried” to coat it with panko, herbs and chickpea flour. While it was frying up it didn’t all stick to the tofu like it usually does. Whatever. The only veg I had in the house were carrots so I thinly sliced them and threw em on in towards the end of cooking. I like my veggies cooked but still crisp. Once they are soft I’m not interested anymore. For a sauce I made my Maple-Hoisin Marinade and poured it on right at the end of cooking and tossed to cover. Then served over Jasmine White Rice and store bought Vegetable Spring Rolls.

Now I know I was just complaining that I’ve become a bad “breader” but my favorite part of this dish was the fried up pieces of panko that were running loose and wild throughout the meal. It gave a nice crunch here and there and made my mouth very happy.

About the Spring Rolls. I ALWAYS have frozen dumplings and spring rolls in my freezer (home made or store bought) It’s easy to heat up a few during the making of dinner and it adds a little something special to the meal like it would if you were actually eating out at your favorite Chinese Restaurant.

11 Comments on Homemade Greasy Chinese!!

1. jessy
    March 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM (11 years ago)

your greasy chinese looks absolutely awesome, Jenna! oooooh, i want to make something like this, fo ‘sho! we don’t have any decent places for chinese around us either – and we’re also in the same boat with the good ones be’n just too far away to enjoy for takeout. sadface!

this looks amazing! great tip on keeping some spring rolls (and dumplings) in the freezer – such a tasty touch! mmmmmmm!

2. veggievixen
    March 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM (11 years ago)

yum! i bet it’s less greasy if you make it at home…?

spring rolls are really easy to make too.

3. Ricki
    March 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM (11 years ago)

Looks amazing! I’d love to have a big bowl of that about now. :)

4. melody polakow
    March 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM (11 years ago)

Looks delicious! I don’t trust any of our Chinese restaurants to make food without chicken stock, so I always have to make things at home.

5. theresa
    March 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM (11 years ago)

That looks so great! My newest breading trick, which seems to work quite well, is to dredge tofu in a mixture of soy flour and soy milk before breading. But then you miss out on errant crunchy bits!

6. Alicia
    March 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM (11 years ago)

Oh Wow! That looks so yummy. I love greasy chinese food too.

7. Kiersten
    March 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM (11 years ago)

That looks just like something you’d order in a restaurant! Maple-hoisin sauce sounds yummy.

8. Kris
    March 11, 2009 at 1:27 PM (11 years ago)

Greasy Chinese? I want to go to there! Portland is sorely lacking in this department, and I’m just not ambitious enough to do it at home. Drool…

March 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM (11 years ago)

It’s impossible for me to pass up chinesey take-out food when given the opportunity to make it. That looks killer!

10. LizĀ²
    March 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM (11 years ago)

oh, that looks greasy and gorgeous! I like your idea about keeping spring rolls around, too. meal extras are where it’s at!