Pakoras

Indian Pakoras

I’m without my husband this week due to his yearly work trip to Indianapolis. The trip is always “perfectly” timed so that he is away on our anniversary usually, which is today. To celebrate, alone, I decided to make myself a yummy dinner of Indian Pakoras using: carrots, potatoes, onions, spinach, cilantro, chickpea flour and spices..etc… Since our new kitchen isn’t all unpacked yet I didn’t have some tools that I needed so I made them a different way. Which didn’t really work out in the end.

I’ve lost this special shredding blade for my Quisenart. My hand grater in still packed as is my vegetable peeler. So I had to thinly slice everything by hand. Its no biggie, I like doing it and it’s good knife skills practice if I ever to go work in a kitchen again. Unfortunately though for this recipe you need them shredded with the help of a device. You miss the natural liquid from the potatoes that helps with moisture and to bind it all together. I had to add more oil then I like and then fry it in more oil and it turned into an oily mess. I actually couldn’t finish eating it. Which is rare and threw every last bit of it away. So sad.

On a good side though they were more flavorful then they usually are! The perfect amount of spice and my house doesn’t smell like curry.

7 Comments on Pakoras

1. VeggieGirl
    April 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM (12 years ago)

loooove Indian food!! Sorry that those pakoras weren’t 100% good though :-(

2. Vic
    April 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM (12 years ago)

These look awesome! I may try my hand at some soon.

April 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM (12 years ago)

The pakoras look killer, even if they didn’t stick together as much as you wanted. Happy anniversary! The alone time is a gift (in its own evil-timed way).

4. jessy
    April 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM (12 years ago)

happy anniversary to you both! that stinks that your spouse is out of town – but i bet you guys will have the most fantastical celebrate upon his return!

your pakoras look great, i’m sorry they didn’t turn out to be as awesome as you had hoped. i’m glad they were super flavorful – and it sounds like you had fun making them and work’n some magic with your knife skillz.

5. veggievixen
    April 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM (12 years ago)

ooh, i want (to make) some!

6. melody polakow
    April 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM (12 years ago)

What a bummer they didn’t turn out. They look good!

7. Cafe Cyan
    April 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM (12 years ago)

Too bad you can’t celebrate your anniversary together, but I’m sure you’ll be able to make up for it later :)

Those pakoras sound fantastic. I’m dreaming of them right now!