mmmm…fried….recipe.

Beer Battered Seitan with Hidden Green Bean Mashed Potatoes

I love fried food. I wish it was good for you. Since it’s not I don’t eat it all the time but if I am going to eat it I want it to be battered in some way. Beer battered! Yum Yum! I can’t get enough of this stuff. It reminds me of my disgusting days when I would eat Chicken Crisper’s dipped in Honey Mustard from a popular chain restaurant. I would feel disgustingly sick after eat those and vow never to eat them again even though I would. I don’t feel sick after eating my own which is a good thing.

I’ve been tinkering with this recipe for awhile. The spices in it don’t give it a super specific taste but definitely add something to the flavor of the whole thing. I served this particular meal with some Hidden Green Bean Mashed Potatoes which is just my sneaky way to get Reno to eat her veggies which she is not doing these days. You basically throw in some frozen green beans into the boiling potatoes when they are just about done and mash them how you usually do. Its quite tasty.

Beer Battered Seitan

1 12oz bottle beer
1 to 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon chili powder

1 pound seitan, cut into strips about 1/2 in thick, boiled seitan works best
canola oil (or preferred oil of your choice)

Pour the beer in a large bowl then whisk in the first 1 cup of flour. It should resemble a nice thick pancake batter if it’s really thin then add the 1/2 cup of flour slowly until you have a nice thick batter. Stir in the salt, garlic powder, mustard powder and chili powder until combined. You don’t want to over stir the batter. Add the strips of seitan and toss until they are fully coated with the batter.

Fill a large frying pan about 1/2 an inch with canola oil and heat on high heat. When heated carefully place battered seitan into the oil, lower the flame to medium-high and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Have a plate covered with paper towels or a clean paper bag to help absorb some of the excess oil.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or give everyone 1/2 a lemon to squeeze onto their beer battered seitan!

13 Comments on mmmm…fried….recipe.

1. Donna Antonelli
    July 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM (8 years ago)

I so wish I lived closer or you lived closer – I miss your cooking and your amazing talent!

Love you,

Donna

2. Vic
    July 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM (8 years ago)

OMG! This is awesome! Im impressed! Great idea!

July 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM (8 years ago)

I approve of this recipe so much…it might even find its way into my kitchen this weekend!!

4. JENNA
    July 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM (8 years ago)

Jes..let me know how it comes out if you get a chance to make it!

5. jessy
    July 2, 2009 at 4:24 PM (8 years ago)

i wish fried food was good for you, too! i like to pretend it is and eat it anyways! ahahahahaa! yay! thanks for sharing your recipe with us, Jenna – damn, that look soooooo goooooood!

6. Vegetation
    July 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM (8 years ago)

Oh YUM! I love fried food, but I’m a little scared to make it myself! But I have to try this one!

7. Neener Bee
    July 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM (8 years ago)

Whoa, that looks so good. I try not to fry as much as possible, but we all need to treat ourselves once in a while. This is definitely a treat.

8. Hannah
    July 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM (8 years ago)

I almost never fry foods, just because it’s such a hassle, but if I ever do, this recipe will be near the top of my list!

9. Taymer
    July 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM (8 years ago)

I do not really fry minus today but this is calling me. I use to like beer battered fish in my pre vegan days this is calling me. Maybe next months as I have met the fry quota for the month, 1!

10. The Voracious Vegan
    August 17, 2009 at 4:47 AM (8 years ago)

I LOVE seitan and this recipe looks just incredible. Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to give it a try.

11. Ashley
    August 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM (7 years ago)

Made this recipe last night and it is so delicious. I also made the hidden green bean mashed potatos! My only problem was when I heated the oil my entire house filled with smoke…I think I made it too hot for too long before adding the seitan. Delicious though.

12. JENNA
    August 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM (7 years ago)

Ashley…it definitely sounds like the oil was too hot! I’m glad you liked the recipes! Thanks for commenting on them.