Picky

Hidden Veggie Tomato Sauce

I have a very picky eating child. No veggies will pass by those precious lips of hers except peas. Occasionally when I’m chopping up carrots she will say “Reno eat that” and I’ll give it to her and she either eats it or throws it in the trash. One day I had her help me snap some string beans in half and she again said “Reno eat that” and she took 2 bites of one and then that was enough. At least she tried it though and when she tries foods or actually eats foods I have Yo Gabba Gabba to thank for that. I’m always singing 2 of their songs to her. One goes something like “There’s a party in your tummy, SO YUMMY, SO YUMMY” the other ones goes “Try it! You’ll like it!” Those 2 songs have helped us get a few extra bites of food into her body.

This is all so frustrating to me on so many levels. One being that my career before having her was all about food and cooking.Two, I’m a veggie mom to a veggie kid who won’t eat her veggies. Third being…(i forgot! i know there was a third though!) Anyway I have basically resorted to blending veggies into our foods to trick her into eating them. The best thing ever for doing this besides mashed potatoes are tomato sauces. I could dump a pot of tomato sauce on our front lawn and she would eat it. Needless to say…we eat pasta…ALOT.

Hidden Veggie Tomato Sauce

Don’t worry about your knife skills on this one. The veggies are blended in the beginning and the entire sauce at the end of the recipe. The chopping of the vegetables in the recipe are to make it easier on your blender/food processor.

1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 bunch of kale, stems removes and chopped
2 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
2 28oz cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes (i like Muir Glen)
1/2 cup fresh basil, washed well

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes then add garlic and saute for 3 more minutes or until soft.

While the onions and garlic are cooking chop the kale, carrots and pepper in a food processor until the vegetables are fully broken down into itty bitty pieces. Then add them to pot of already cooking onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.

Then add both cans of tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Place a cover over the pot with a bit of the pot still open to let steam escape. Cook or 1 hour stirring whenever you think about it. Add the basil for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.

Turn the heat off and blend the sauce in batches in your blender or food processor.

This recipe makes a ton of sauce. It keeps in the fridge for about 5 days. I like to freeze single serving sizes for just Reno. Its great for those nights when I don’t want to fight to get her to eat what we are eating and we don’t in turn have to eat pasta again.

Happy VeganMoFo

veganmofo33

7 Comments on Picky

October 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM (7 years ago)

I was a super picky eater as a kid–one of those brown food kids: chicken, peanut butter, bread, etc. But that sauce would have won me over back then like it does now! Hopefully she’ll diversify soon!

2. Laura
    October 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM (7 years ago)

You could become the Jessica Seinfeld of the Veggie World! If you didn’t know, she has a cookbook out about hiding veggies in her food, so her kids will eat it.

3. The Voracious Vegan
    October 14, 2009 at 12:37 AM (7 years ago)

That is a great idea to hide the veggies by blending them up! Very clever! This looks delicious, by the way.

4. Anna
    October 15, 2009 at 4:02 AM (7 years ago)

I hide vegetables in things too so my kids will eat them. I tend to at least half blend soup as well so there are no whole vegetables in it and I can be a little deceptive as well, for example last night I said we were having ‘vegetables’ in cheesy sauce because if I’d said it was cauliflower my 6 year old would have refused to eat it!

All kids go through fussy times though I think, one day they love something and the next they sceam if you offer it to them, I figure as long as I get some of everything we’re eating into my boys then that’s fine. Gradually they will like more and more of what I serve, either that or they’ll eat it because they’re hungry and there’s nothing else on offer!

5. dreaminitvegan
    October 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM (7 years ago)

Great looking tomato sauce.
    They say it can take up to 14 or 15 times for your kids to finally eat something new. I always served what we ate to my son and if it was something he didn’t like I at least had him take a bite or two. For example, soup, he was never a big soup eater when he was little but I always served him a little, when he was about 4 he really started loving it. The only vegetable he doesn’t care for is Asparagus but he goes back and forth on that one.

6. catherine (FOOD SNOB)
    October 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM (7 years ago)

My brother was the pickiest eater on the PLANET when we were little, and he’s a normally-consuming adult these days. Never fear!

I think your compromise is good — pasta on nights when you don’t feel like wrestling with her, but still making her try bites other nights. There has to be that “alternative” meal, even if it’s boring! (I knew a family once who allowed their super-picky child a plain peanut butter sandwich, but only after she had tried two bites of everything on her plate. Eventually, she got so sick of peanut butter, she started eating “real” food!)

7. Vegetation
    October 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM (7 years ago)

I can totally empathize with kids who won’t eat! Mine are unbearably fussy. Trying to come up with idea’s for dinner has gone from fun to a massive chore. I like the idea of blending them into sauces though! I just have to find a sauce my kids will eat :P

This sounds yummy to me too though and I’m thinking I have to make it anyway!