Crepe Cake

Chocolate Raspberry Crepe Cake

One thing you might not know about me is that I LOVE Martha Stewart or maybe just her magazines. Especially the holiday ones. The thing is..is that I don’t usually make anything out of them. I just like to look and say oooooooh!!! aaaaaaaah!!  My sister and I spotted the picture of her Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake and were just smitten with the picture and idea of the whole thing.

Knowing this would take a few hours to accomplish I set aside a Sunday when Peter and Reno would be out of the house for hours and set forth on making my very first Vegan Crepe Cake. First I made all the crepes which was 2 batches of the Crepe recipe in Veganomicon. Its a very easy crepe to make. I was very pleased with the recipe. Once all those “millions” of crepes were made and cooling off I heated up a jar of raspberry jam, some chocolate chips and arrowroot powder until the chips all melted and it was nice and thick from the arrowroot.

Then came time to frost. One crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, 0ne crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, one crepe, layer of raspberry chocolate filling, you get the picture.  I let that set for a few minutes in the fridge while I prepared the ganache topping which I then just dumped on top of the crepe cake then set it back in the fridge while I made the candied hazelnuts.

This was by far my favorite part of the whole recipe! The Candied Hazelnuts! There is just something about melting sugar in water and have it turn into a hard like glass that just thrills me to no end. The fact that it even worked and came out perfectly the first time made the whole experience even better then it already was. I followed this recipe to the T from the Martha Stewart recipe.

When it came time to eat dinner that night at my parents house downstairs we were all anxiously awaiting for it to be dessert time. To see if all those hours of work (about 4 or 5 hours) were worth it in the end. I can happily say that they were worth it even though I found problems with parts of it here and there. The main problem was the filling. It was delicious but it was too wet to use in a crepe cake. Next time I will use something a bit thicker. I also need to make more crepes next time because I want my cake to be as tall and marvelous as Martha’s!

12 Comments on Crepe Cake

1. LazySmurf
    November 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM (5 years ago)

WOW! I don’t think I have ever been so excited about a dessert that looks so good!

November 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM (5 years ago)

I can’t believe you made this on a first try without killing something in the process! When we made this back in the early days of Daring Bakers it was such a hoot to read everyone’s posts. Mine took 2 days and it was hell. Now I’ve got a handle on it and I’ve made it again, with a twist, but wow, yours looks gorgeous and perfectly done! I bow at your feet!

3. Kelly
    November 19, 2009 at 8:09 PM (5 years ago)

I think your cake is more than marvelous! Color me seriously impressed.

4. Sophie
    November 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM (5 years ago)

woah, amazing!! this looks like a super healthy dose of chocolate, something i can never object to. so pretty too!

5. The Voracious Vegan
    November 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM (5 years ago)

That cake is a show stopper! Wow, I have never even heard of something like this. Everything, from the modern art toppers to the luscious layers of rich crepes, this is a dessert that I NEED to eat!

6. Ashley
    November 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM (5 years ago)

Whoa! I’ve got to try this. The hazelnuts are amazing. Great job!

7. bazu
    November 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM (5 years ago)

pretty much, you win at life.

feel free to send any leftovers my way!

8. Hannah
    November 27, 2009 at 3:07 PM (5 years ago)

Now this is one amazing cake…! I’ve been wanting to make something similar for ages, but kudos to you for actually doing it. Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Mihl
    November 29, 2009 at 5:36 AM (5 years ago)

Wow, I’m speechless. That cake looks so fantastic!

10. kilax
    December 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM (5 years ago)

What a beautiful, and complicated, cake! Wow. I bet that would amaze anyone I made it for!

11. Nicole
    January 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM (5 years ago)

Oh my gosh, woah! This is too cool.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Crepe Cake

1. […]  My sister was the lucky recipient of this cake even though a day before her party she requested a Crepe Cake which wasn’t going to happen on such short notice with 2 kids in the house. The recipe is […]