Scones/Sandwich/Recipe

scones

Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Cinnamon Scones

We have been having a lot of snow here in NJ this past month and by a lot I mean A LOT! We have yet to have a day this year that there wasn’t any snow on the ground. There is no place to put the snow anymore and our front yard has a snow pile that is way over the top of my head. Its ridiculous but I don’t mind because I love the snow plus I have nowhere to go usually so I’m completely fine with being snowed in. On most snowy mornings I like to make us scones for breakfast. I always make the same ones and I call them Blizzard Scones. They have chocolate chips, coconut and lots of cinnamon in them. I usually  top them with cinnamon sugar before popping them in the oven but was lazy this last time. These things are so good. I always say I’m going to make a different flavor scone and always end up making the same ones over and over again.

On this particular snow day I also made us one of my favorite tofu sandwiches….

Lemon Mustard Tofu Sandwich

Lemon-Mustard Tofu Sandwich

Unfortunately somewhere after making the above scones and turning off the oven and then turning it back on to bake the tofu my oven broke. It was devastating. I had tofu marinating in a great lemon and mustard marinade to bake off in the oven and couldn’t. I ended up searing them on the stove top which made them still delicious but it’s not the same as that slow baked tofu texture that I love. I make this tofu a lot in the summer months when I want to make my French Sandwich which is just a riff off of a vegetarian sandwich I became obsessed with while I was in Paris once many many years ago. That sandwich contained hard boiled eggs and this tofu is a great replacement for it. The above sandwich is not the French Sandwich however. I’ll make a post on that sandwich in the summer months when I can get great fresh/ripe veggies for it (hopefully from my garden). The sandwich above is just a simple mini baguette spread with veganaise and some whole grain mustard, mesclun greens and the tofu. A simple sandwich for a simple day stuck inside because of the snow.  Here is my recipe for the tofu:

Lemon-Mustard Tofu

1 block extra firm tofu, pressed (I use and swear by my Tofu Xpress)
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine and whisk all the ingredients, except for the tofu, in a small bowl.  Cut tofu in 1/2 so you have two rectangles. Place each slab of tofu on its side and slice each piece into 4 slices. You’ll have 8 rectangle pieces of tofu. Pour 1/2 of the marinade in a large shallow baking dish and place the tofu on top of the marinade. Pour the rest of the marinade on top and place in the fridge for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Have a sheet tray covered with parchment paper ready and transfer the tofu onto the sheet tray. Bake for 25 minutes. Flip over each piece of tofu and bake for 20-25 minutes more.

Let cool and use however you like.

12 Comments on Scones/Sandwich/Recipe

1. Dianne@Veggiegirl
    January 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM (7 years ago)

I want one of those sandwiches right now!! I’m putting the tofu on my menu for next week.

2. Yvonne
    January 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM (7 years ago)

Hi,
    I was trying to find the recipe for those delicious looking scones on you blog but I haven’t been able to find it.
    I would love to make these ‘blizzard scones’!

• Maryellen
      April 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM (1 year ago)

So excited I found this article as it made things much quricek!

• auto insurance
      June 4, 2016 at 5:00 PM (1 year ago)

Il faut noter d’autre part, à la décharge de RL, et il me semble que cela est passé inaperçu, que ce franc-maçon se plaint de ce que les préceptes et vérités catholiques soient « (hélas reprises trop souvent dans les articles de Riposte Laïque) »…

July 10, 2016 at 11:23 AM (1 year ago)

Hi, i am 22 yrs old, 68kg, 5″7 – I am from the UK and am desperately looking for a product to predominantly increase height as well as lean muscle growth, can anyone reccomend this product? Does it deliver to UK, and i am still unsure about whether this actually works? Please HELP! Thanks

August 9, 2016 at 7:12 AM (1 year ago)

The premise is kinda cool, although I know that this creepypasta is pasted all over the internet, that’s what creepypasta is. it can’t be a message specifically to me. Also, the whole going back in time to warn yourself not to look behind yourself seems kinda silly. Comment by hacx on November 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

• direkt kredit vergleich
      February 12, 2017 at 1:16 PM (7 months ago)

Hey Bomber, how come you’ve let this bloke spout off about Jews? Where is your tut-tutting about racism and bogotry? I don’t understand why you’re so quiet.

January 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM (7 years ago)

Oh no! Have you gotten the oven fixed/replaced yet? I can’t imagine being snowed in without an oven. Eep. The blizzard scones are perfect though! And that tofu? Divine. Hope you’re staying warm & cozy!

4. JENNA
    January 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM (7 years ago)

Yvonne….I don’t have a recipe for the scone up on the site. Its kinda a work in progress. What you could do is take your favorite scone recipe and just add choc. chips, coconut and cinnamon to it.

5. Yvonne
    January 31, 2011 at 12:17 PM (7 years ago)

I’ll try that with the Vegan with a Vengeance scone recipe to begin with; thanks!
    – but I still think the scone on the picture looks delicious (and perfect) and I hope you will post your recipe once you have perfected it –

6. JENNA
    January 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM (7 years ago)

I definitely will post the recipe when I have it perfected.

7. Lourdes
    July 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM (6 years ago)

I’m always interested in new tofu recipes. Do you press the tofu before you cook it? If you do you might be interested in a new and inexpensive tofupresser.com