Red Lentil-Jasmine Rice Soup (recipe)

Red Lentil Jasmine Soup

Red Lentil-Jasmine Rice Soup

Today is a perfect day for soup…it’s rainy, Reno is sick and now I’m sick because of Reno’s sickness. My friend Cheryl put a call out on Facebook for a Lentil Soup and named me specifically in her post. I though I would share the recipe here as well since I’ve been meaning to do so for ages now. So thank you Cheryl for reminding me about this recipe!

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, small diced
1 large carrot, small diced
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup dried red lentils
1 cup jasmine rice
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken-less broth
4 cups filtered water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (not pictured)

In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions and carrots. Saute until carrots are soft and onions are translucent 5-8 minutes.  Add celery seed and dried thyme and saute for 2 minutes. Add red lentils, jasmine rice, broth and water to the pot and raise the heat to high to bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat so that the soup is simmering. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked. Should take no longer then 25 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

10 Comments on Red Lentil-Jasmine Rice Soup (recipe)

1. Noelle
    December 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM (6 years ago)

Yum and double-yum! I love red lentils, and it’s definitely soup weather ’round these parts.

December 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM (6 years ago)

Perfect rainy-day/sick-day soup! I’m ready for this multi-day rain to get outta here. At least it isn’t snow yet :)

• Lena
      April 26, 2016 at 3:52 AM (1 year ago)

Puasa boten mba? Boten puasa nggih boten napa2 mba… kan demi dede mungi juga di perut. Eh artikelnya mba avie di muslimah bagus ya suaalnhlbah. Ada tips-nya untuk ibu hamil dan menyusui selama puasa. I miss u

April 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM (1 year ago)

What a great perspective! Definitely gives you hope that there might be a way to see positive change even in situations where it feels like there is no possibility.

• car insurance quote
      June 5, 2016 at 1:09 AM (1 year ago)

rimka / As tau Aldai eglynai pasakysiu tik viena – nespresk apie kitus pagal save. O ka nors tau aiskinti tai kaip pats pasakei, kad man su menulio zmogum sunku susikalbet o tuo labiau save aukstinanciu.

• cheap car insurance
      September 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM (9 months ago)

Ååå, Lene, du er så vakker!Åsså.. Utrolig fine bilder o.o Kan jeg ikke bare kidnappe deg til min skole? Vi trenger sånne flinkebarn som deg, vil gjerne adoptere deg.<3 xx

November 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM (8 months ago)

I’m really looking forward to reading Design, Design on my iPad. I thnk it is great that you are targeting both experienced designers and those inspiring to be the next great designer. Thank you!

• Fleta
        December 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM (6 months ago)

Yeah, that’s the tiectk, sir or ma’am

December 25, 2016 at 2:32 AM (6 months ago)

Shoot, so that’s that one supposes.

• schufafreier kredit frankfurt airport
        February 8, 2017 at 10:48 AM (5 months ago)

Ja visst har det varit härligt med lite värme igen. Men snart är det höst och vi får värma oss med mysiga kläder och plädar istället. :)Ha så härligt i London nu! Meddela gärna hur vädret är mm mm. Jag och mina döttrar åker dit ännu nästa helg. Oj vad vi längtar!Stora kramenJeanette