Almond Butter Coconut Curry {recipe}

Almond Butter Coconut Curry

Almond Butter Coconut Curry

If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life, besides tacos, it would be a thick and creamy curry. It screams comfort and I’m sure I’d need comfort in my life if I was forced to eat the same meal over and over for the rest of my life. If I had to be specific about which curry I’d eat forever I think it would be this one! ┬áI happened upon curries late in life, my late teens or very early 20’s, and often think how lucky my kids are that they don’t have to wait that long in their lives to experience the deliciousness of a good curry. Reno probably wishes she could wait until her 20’s to try a curry because she still has an unrefined palate to deal with. So with that knowledge of her taste buds I used a mild curry that I bought at our local Farmers Market to make it more Reno friendly so feel free to use whatever spiced curry you like. Miles, I don’t have to worry about since he will eat just about anything.

This recipe came about by having odds and ends around the kitchen that needed to be used up. It can easily be adapted to use up whatever veggies are on their way to the compost bin. Other additions could be: sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, zucchini…etc… Firm pressed tofu would be a great addition as well.

Almond Butter Coconut Curry
serves 6

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, small diced
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
3 medium potatoes, medium diced
1 bouillion cube, I use a chicken-less one
2 cups of water, divided (can use more if necessary)
1 13.5 fl oz can of coconut milk
1/2 cup almond butter
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4-1 cup raw whole cashews
2 tomatoes chopped

In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the garlic, onions, carrots and potatoes. Once the onions and garlic are soft add the bouillion cube and 1 cup of the water to the pot to help the carrots and potatoes along. If you feel like you need to add more water to cook the potatoes then do so. It won’t hurt the outcome at all. It just depends on how high the heat is. The potatoes should be fork tender in about 15-20 minutes.

While the potatoes and carrots are cooking, whisk together, in a small bowl the  remaining cup of water, coconut milk, almond butter, tomato paste, agave nectar, curry powder and salt. Add to the pot along with the chickpeas, cashews and chopped tomatoes once the potatoes are cooked through. Add more water water, 1/2 a cup at a time, to thin out to your liking. The sauce will thicken as it cooks. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Serve over rice and a side of sauteed greens. (we used collard greens from our garden!)

A little end note: both kids..ages 4 1/2 and 1 loved this dinner!

8 Comments on Almond Butter Coconut Curry {recipe}

1. Erin
    June 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM (5 years ago)

Looks so yum!!!! Can’t wait to try this.

June 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM (5 years ago)

What a beautiful curry! I love that you used almond butter in it–G’s peanut allergy keeps peanut butter from our pantry. I super miss it,but almond butter is ohsogood too. Can’t wait to try out a variation of this!

3. JoLynn-dreaminitvegan
    June 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM (5 years ago)

I’m with you…I could eat a lot of curry. Almond butter instead of peanut butter sounds delish!

• Furkan
      December 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM (4 years ago)

I am so glad that I found your blog today. About 8 weeks ago I went vegetarian (mostly Vegan with the excpetion of mozzarella cheese which I have no good reason for still wanting and eating) I had been breastfeeding my daughter for the past 8 months and when my milk supply changed and her sleeping habits changed I got worried, called my doctor and asked if it was about the vegetarian shift and I was basically chastised by every one. I became so worried that I was harming my baby I started eating meat and cheese again. The milk supply and the bad sleeping continued and I felt so angry that I had given up something that was making ME feel better. Thank you for re-inspiring me.

4. veganlinda
    June 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM (5 years ago)

Love almond butter in curries! I must try this one.

5. Shannon Love
    July 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM (4 years ago)

Thanks so much for this recipe!!! I just started Whole30, so my ingredient list is extremely short… but i used this recipe, substituting sweet potatoes for reg. potatoes, coconut oil for olive oil, and chopped almonds instead of cashews. After leaving out the chick peas, bullion cube, and agave nectar, I can testify that the sauce is still super delish! I am not vegetarian, so i cook it with cut chicken breast and eat as is… as i cannot have rice… gives me something to look forward to. Thanks again!

6. Elijah
    September 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM (3 years ago)

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot of time
    writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that
    creates high quality, SEO friendly posts in seconds, just type in google
    – laranitas free content source