Butternut and Kale Saute (recipe)

Roasted Butternut and Kale Saute

Happy VeganMoFo!!! I’m excited that ‘MoFo is here and also completely overwhelmed by it already. I had planned on getting at least 1/3 of my post done over the past 2 weeks but wonderful and crazy things got in the way so I’m just going to wing it. Hopefully things will calm down this week and I can prepare some things in advanced.

I’ve decided to run with a theme this year. The whole month of  VeganMoFo for me will be all about Pumpkins and Winter Squash. Everything I post will contain either/or. Its a lot of pressure to come up with that many pumpkin recipes but I think I can pull it off. I have a bunch of ideas and I bought every type of pumpkin and winter squash I saw at Whole Foods yesterday.

I’m starting off VeganMoFo Day 1 with a recipe I made the other day for a butternut and kale saute. I made this earlier in the day and ended up nibbling on it for the rest of the day. We were lucky that there was some left for our actual dinner which it was intended for!

Roasted Butternut and Kale Saute

6-8 cups of medium diced butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400˚. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread onto a parchment covered baking sheet tray and roast 25-30 minutes or until butternut squash is easily pierced with a fork or knife.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch of  red pepper flakes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bunch of kale, stems removed torn into bite sized pieces
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons tamari

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and saute for 1 minutes. Toss in the kale and cook for 5 minutes. Add the already roasted butternut squash to the pan along with the pecans. Saute for 2 minutes to combine all the ingredients then add the tamari and cook 3-5 minutes more. Serve!

25 Comments on Butternut and Kale Saute (recipe)

1. Joshua Parker
    October 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM (5 years ago)

I have a butternut squash sitting on the counter trying to figure out what to do with it. I will definitely give this recipe a try. Thanks for posting it.

• JENNA
      October 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM (5 years ago)

Let me know how you like it!

2. mollyjade
    October 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM (5 years ago)

That plate looks beautiful and comforting.

3. Dianne @ Veggiegirl
    October 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM (5 years ago)

This looks incredible! I’m looking forward to seeing what else you come up with! :)

• Lakisha
      April 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM (2 years ago)

Hey, that’s the grstteea! So with ll this brain power AWHFY?

April 28, 2016 at 9:32 PM (2 years ago)

Don, I just heard about Deb’s passing. I’m so very sorry for you and your family’s loss. What a beautiful tribute for an obviously wonderful woman. May memories of your many special times together heal the hurt in your heart, and become a real comfort. Know that your friends are here for you with our love.hugsKamie

June 28, 2016 at 8:31 AM (1 year ago)

Awesome site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

August 9, 2016 at 7:14 AM (1 year ago)

buat pe nk rebut2 ank.dulu jimmy kata,dia ragu2 sama ada baby tu ank dia or ank ‘org’ lain..tiba2 skrg nk mita lak hak penjagaan ank tu..ni sure kes malas nk beri nafkah ank la tu.rasanya elok la wife dia yg dpt hak sepenuhnya kt baby tu,lg pun baby girl kan,lebih baik ibu yg jaga.apa pun bab ank,ibu bapa sama2 la jlnkan tgjwb..Hot debate. What do you think? 6  7

November 2, 2016 at 1:50 AM (1 year ago)

That’s a genuinely impressive answer.

November 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM (1 year ago)

You dont know anything, do you? If anybody is arrogant, it is you. First of all, I dont care how he talks. So acting like we all are like that is arrogant. SECOND, English is taught in WAY more countries and anybody with business sense would know speaking in gibberish isn’t as good as English. Good day sir.

4. catherine (FOOD SNOB)
    October 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM (5 years ago)

Jenna, I’m excited to read your upcoming winter squash posts, as it’s not my favorite vegetable. (!!) I enjoy it some ways, but not others . . . I can’t wait to hear all sorts of new ideas!

5. Kittee-Bee Berns
    October 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM (5 years ago)

Oh, I’m excited to be inspired by your theme. I have a pretty limited arsenal of winter squash recipes, but I love it!
    xo
    kittee

6. Annie
    October 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM (5 years ago)

Great theme! I’m also already feeling overwhelmed – and also had planned to have the majority of my posts ready to go…Ha! I am totally winging it!

October 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM (5 years ago)

Happy MoFo! That kale & butternut saute looks great–I’m definitely going to start making dishes like that as it cools off (harvested a BUNCH of butternuts this year)!

8. veganbabette
    October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM (5 years ago)

Oh wow, can you believe I also have everything needed to make that recipe. It looks delicious.

I like your theme!

• veganbabette
      October 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM (5 years ago)

I tried this for lunch today and served it over spinach pasta. It was great! I just added a touch more of tamari.

• JENNA
        October 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM (5 years ago)

Thanks for the idea of putting it over spinach pasta!

9. Viarex
    February 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM (5 years ago)

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality
    articles or blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon
    this website. Reading this info So i’m happy to express that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most for sure will make certain to do not omit this site and give it a glance on a continuing basis.

10. Buy SlimBerry
    February 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM (5 years ago)

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.

I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you in the future as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal website now ;)

11. viarex.org
    October 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM (4 years ago)

This site was… howw do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that
    helped me. Many thanks!

Also visit my weblog … Viarex – viarex.org

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Butternut and Kale Saute (recipe)

1. […] feel like I’m a super healthy person and I can eat all the ice cream I want. So I think this butternut and kale saute with pecans from Good Good Things might be the perfect tasty […]

2. […] Butternut & kale sauté – Good Good Things […]