Delicata Squash Pizza

Delicata-Mushroom-Pesto Pizza

VeganMoFo Day 2!

Delicata Squash is one of my favorite winter squashes. I love both the look and taste of it and it is a very quick cooking squash in my experience. Did you know that it is also sometimes called a peanut squash, Bohemian squash, or sweet potato squash?

I had a Delicata Squash that needed to be used and I had pizza dough that needed to be used so I decided to marry the two. I thinly sliced the squash and gently tossed it in a bowl with olive oil and a bit of maple syrup and then lined them up on a parchment lined baking tray and baked until the squash was soft and the bottom was slightly caramelized. It took less then 10 minutes.

While the squash was baking I picked some basil from the garden and made a pesto and then I sauteed some mushrooms with a ton of garlic. Once the squash was done cooking and cooled down a bit I rolled out the dough, spread the pesto onto it, scattered the mushrooms on top of the pesto, artfully lined up the squash on top of the mushrooms and then added a few row of sliced tomatoes. Baked it in a 400˚ oven and then ate the entire thing with my family. Nothing weird about mixing all those ingredients together. They all worked together somehow. I think it’s my new favorite pizza and I can’t wait to make it again and again.

14 Comments on Delicata Squash Pizza

1. coldandsleepy
    October 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM (8 years ago)

That is one fine looking pizza. I want it to be cool enough here to roast things!

2. TuxedoCat
    October 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM (8 years ago)

Oh, love this! I would have never thought to put squash on pizza, but loving both of these things, I’ll have to try this in the future.

3. veganbabette
    October 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM (8 years ago)

Your photographs are beautiful. It’s the first time I come across your blog. And I’m glad I did… I started to read your post and told myself “ugh, I could perhaps do something like that tomorrow with my Delicata squash”, and then I kept on reading and realized I also had frozen pizza dough! So unless I forget, I’ll go to my garden tomorrow, take some basils and tomatoes, make kale stem pesto and put all that on a pizza… perhaps with shittakes.

Delicata is one of my favorites too. I find it tastes like corn.

• JENNA
      October 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM (8 years ago)

Thank you veganbabette! I happy you found me so that I can now find you. :) I get to brush up on my French while reading your blog.

• veganbabette
        October 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM (8 years ago)

I made that pizza the other day and it was fabulous. There was only one problem. The roasted Delicata squash was so delicious I almost ate all of it before decorating the pizza =/

• JENNA
          October 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM (8 years ago)

I ate a ton of the delicata squash before decorating the pizza with it. Honestly…only 1/2 of our pizza had the squash on it! :)

4. Joey
    October 3, 2012 at 2:49 AM (8 years ago)

That looks gorgeous – I love the fluted edges on the delicata squash!

• JENNA
      October 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM (8 years ago)

The fluted edge with the green lines running down them is just gorgeous isn’t it?

October 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM (8 years ago)

I’ve never put delicata on pizza before, but now I think I need to try it soon! I have a few lying around & am in need of inspiration. I love that you were able to grab basil from the garden to make a pesto too–so fresh!

• JENNA
      October 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM (8 years ago)

I feel incredible lucky to be about to grab some basil that is growing in my own backyard. Sadly basil season is over and I think I only have one more chance this year to do the same.

6. Mandee
    October 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM (8 years ago)

Ooh, snap! I just made pesto-based pizza the other night but with sweet potatoes instead of squash. Yours look delicious!

7. Ashley
    October 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM (8 years ago)

Yum! I will be making! Glad I found you this MoFo!

8. Kelly
    October 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM (8 years ago)

That is one beautiful pizza! I’ve never had delicata squash before, this is quite the motivation :)

9. Erin
    October 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM (8 years ago)

My mind just got blown!