Pumpkin Butter {recipe}

Pumpkin Butter

VeganMoFo: Day 11

I miserably failed at MoFo’ing last week.  At least it was due to a good thing. Which I can’t share right now. I want to wait until VeganMoFo is over to share my good news. All I’ll say is that it involves cooking and I’m very happy! :)

While I was missing from MoFo-land I was busy thinking up pumpkin recipes. One that popped into my head was Pumpkin Butter. I’ve never made any sort of “butter” before and was excited to give it a shot. I knew the general idea of how to go about making it and I’m happy that it worked out so well.  My taste tester for this recipe said “Yes, definitely post this recipe!” I can’t wait to start spreading it onto everything I make over the next few days. I even have some ideas on how to work it into other recipes.

Pumpkin Butter

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice or cider
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 3 in (approx.) cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground clove
pince of allspice
1 teaspoon lemon juice

In a medium saucepan add all of the ingredients except the lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice. Once it’s cool store it in a glass container in your fridge for up to a week (maybe longer!)

7 Comments on Pumpkin Butter {recipe}

1. Dianne @ Veggiegirl
    October 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM (2 years ago)

I’ll definitely be making this soon! Store bought pumpkin butter is really expensive and I’m sure yours tastes better. :)

• JENNA
      October 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM (2 years ago)

I wouldn’t know….truthfully…I’ve never eaten pumpkin butter! :)

2. Joey
    October 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM (2 years ago)

I’ve never made a vegetable or fruit butter before, but this looks gorgeous! Would you put it on toast?

3. Fanny
    October 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM (2 years ago)

I made pumpkin butter some week ago and the recipe looks very similar. Soooo good.

4. Maggie Muggins
    October 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM (2 years ago)

I was given a jar a pumpkin butter in a swap a few months back and I still haven’t tried it! What do you like to do with pumpkin butter? I can’t seem to think of how to eat it besides with a spoon.

October 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM (2 years ago)

I’m a huge fan of pumpkin butter-it just makes everything taste like delicious fall! Yours looks creamy good. Definitely wanting to make some soon!

6. T
    October 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM (2 years ago)

I haven’t had pumpkin butter in years, but the last time I did I ate the entire jar in like 3 days. This looks so great, also probably delicious on pumpkin bread!